1. FREE WEBINAR: Why Editors Want Chapter Books and How To Write Them hosted by Dr. Mira Reisburg and author Hillary Homzie. http://www.childrensbookacademy.com/why-editors-want-chapter-books-and-how-to-write-them-webinar.html
2. Chapter Book Course: The Chapter Book Alchemist hosted through The Children’s Book Academy. http://www.childrensbookacademy.com/the-chapter-book-alchemist.html
3. PLUS- New BONUS Material! When you sign up for the Chapter Book Alchemist Course, you will receive an additional Mini Workshop including 7 Bonus Items!
What Happens Next: Creating a Page Turner for Young Readers.
From being afraid to ride the stupid smelly bus to school, to being the only one left in your class who hasn’t lost a tooth yet, this workshop takes a close look at plot and elements that affect it in chapter books for young readers. My examples are taken from the works of authors Barbara Park (Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus), Abbie Klein (Ready Freddy: Tooth Trouble), and Mary Pope Osborne (Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark).
1. Transcript of the entire workshop.
2. A List of Recommended Chapter Book Series to read
3. Structure Breakdown and Plot Analysis of 3 chapter books
4. Chapter Book Basics (A list of elements that are found in most chapter books.)
5. Template Outline for Creating Your Own Chapter Book
6. A List of Age Appropriate Universal Themes/Inciting Problems for Chapter Books
7. A List of Publishers That Accept Chapter Books
I created this workshop for my graduating lecture in my MFA program mainly due to my own curiosity about chapter books. I had written mainly picture books and really wanted to try my hand at longer works of fiction. My mentor suggested trying chapter books instead of jumping right into middle grade. I loved this idea and I loved how it mimicked how readers transition as well. Chapter books are the natural bridge between early readers, picture books and middle grade. They have simple plot lines and shorter chapters. This is appealing to young readers, but also to writers (like me) who have never attempted a longer work of fiction.
So that final semester, I read hundreds of chapter books, analyzed the structure of at least 20 different series, discovered the essentials and commonalities in most chapter books, looked closely at the types of themes and problems authors chose to base their chapter book on, and then finally attempted to write my own. That semester, I proudly completed two chapter books and gained the courage to begin an early middle grade novel the following semester. Lastly, I researched publishing houses interested in chapter books
After completing all that research for my own knowledge, it made sense to share it as my graduate lecture. The lecture was well received and the participants were especially appreciative of the helpful handouts.
Therefore, I’m really excited to be able to assist with Mira and Hillary’s upcoming course and be able to offer these materials to you!
If you’ve ever thought about writing a chapter book, this is the time. Not only will you have amazing lessons with Mira and Hillary, you can participate in our closed facebook community, join an online critique group with other class members, participate in interactive weekly webinars, and now gain all the bonus materials. You don’t want to miss this course. I really hope you will join us!
We are so excited to be mixing things up at the Children's Book Academy, beginning with some delicious additions to the Blogfish. Meet our awesome new bloggers!!
Here's our lineup:
1st Mondays begin with Clear Fork/Spork editor/art director, former agent and former kidlit professor Mira Reisberg PhD who is also the Director of the Children's Book Academy.
2nd Mondays will feature super smart Melissa Stoller whose career is taking off with new books coming soon.
3rd Mondays will feature Bryan Patrick Avery, published writer, man of mystery, and professional magician among other things.
4th Mondays will feature the fabulous soon to be debut author/illustrator Sarah Momo Romero.
And 5th Mondays will feature awesomely irreverent and super funny Aussie author Brydie Wright.
Join Our Tribe
Click here to receive all sorts of goodies including Our Unique 9pt Plotting Template that you can customize for your own needs! And don't worry, we will never share your email!
Follow This Blog